Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Autumn Morning.....

The first scents of the day
Fill me up and radiate to my finger tips
Invigorating and refreshing
The early morning coolness breathing against my face
And the ever welcome warmth that cloaks my back
My fading friend of summer
Chinks of light peep through the loaded branches
Leaves, clinging for life
The life within them withering away
The autumnal colours of ochre’s and browns
Curling with their rusty spots abound
That moment of life extinct as they freefall
Dressing the ground with a crisp crunchy carpet

© Eileen O’Neill    24/09/2010
Thursday Prompt for Poets United: Autumn
(Poem originally written 17/10/2009)

4 comments:

Peter Greene said...

Ah, that moment of freefall. Well caught, and thanks for the poem.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Old333,

Thank you very much for very kind comment. I do like the imagery which autumn evokes....

Eileen

Francis Scudellari said...

You've captured the feel of the season nicely Eileen. A last gasp before winter takes hold.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,
Thank you for your very timely comment.
I think the wind and rain of the weekend, have just about removed autumn!
Best wishes,
Eileen