Monday, November 8, 2010

Lorca's Lament

My love has flown away
on the black wing of an eagle
to pierce the blue mantle
of a Spanish sky.

Words have deserted me,
they have marched away
to the beat of a thousand drums
and the clash of swords.

The gleam of his naked pistol
and the sun's scorching rays
blinded me as I knelt
that sweltering summer's day
on flowering earth-
mother of all mothers
that gave birth to me.

They dragged me to the cemetery
to breathe my last broken sigh.

I am still searching for the mound
where my shattered bones lie.


Zaina Anwar 2010

6 comments:

RachelW said...

So percectly Lorca. Well done!

Qasar said...

Flower is beautiful part of enviourment.Every one likes their sweets smell.
The knowledge about flowers is very well that will given in this website.
Flowers

Gerry Boyd said...

Bravo!

Old 333 said...

My Lorca knowledge is zer0 (off to Wikipedia I go!) - but I found the poem sharp, fast-moving, and pleasant. Thanks for it, Zaina.

Zaina Anwar said...

Guys, thank you for the lovely comments. And thanks for reading.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Zaina,
I have just read this beautiful poem at Poets United.
Wonderful words and wonderful imagery....

Eileen :)